- Ensure adequate and appropriate religious services and spiritual care for persons in directly-operated and transfer payment institutions and community-based agencies and programs
- Assist in the formation of appropriate responses to spiritual and religious needs
- Collaborate in the development of policies and standards which safeguard spiritual care and religious rights and practices
- Provide an effective liaison between the faith groups of Ontario and the provincial government
OMC is the advisor to the government on religious services and spiritual care issues, standards and practices. Regional Multifaith Committees (RMC’s), work with facilities and faith communities within a specific geographical area. OMCSRC and RMC representatives are appointed by their faith groups and are responsible to their faith communities.
To advise Government
- On standards of care
- On compliance with rites and customs of the Faith Groups
- Of the views of the Faith Communities of Ontario
To be an advocate
- For spiritual and religious care of persons under care or custody
- For adequate and appropriate access to religious rites and practices
- For standards for professional spiritual and religious care practice
- For the exercise of religious rights and freedoms
To provide a forum
- For the voices of working spiritual and religious caregivers.
- For the OMC and its Regional Multifaith Committees.
- For the Reintegration Community.
The Ontario Multifaith Council in collaboration with its Regional Multifaith Committees, have the following functions and shall:
Collaborate with the Province
- to develop standards, policies and procedures
- to provide informed advice on religious rights issues
- to validate S&R Care qualifications for Public Services positions
- to provide training and education opportunities for S&R Caregivers
- to provide information resources for S&R Caregivers
- to support the link between institutions and local communities
- to encourage, review and oversee research projects
- to effectively advocate for religious rights and spiritual care practices
- for effective collaboration with those sharing similar goals
- to facilitate communication among the OMC, Faith Groups and chaplains
- to encourage Faith Groups and local communities’ involvement in S&R Care
- to promote, develop, and distribute resources